T There's only one real answer (legislative parsing aside) to the Supreme Court's attack on democracy by its ruling that big business can spend its billions to support or oppose candidates.
You're looking at it right here. Trust me, we have the power-- it's called corporate fear of losing money, time and privacy.
I'm a blogger and writer. There are thousands like me. Together we have the power to keep corporate America from destroying our democracy. We can unleash the righteous anger of the population in a way that will make the "Tea Parties" look like a Sunday school picnic!
Let us bloggers, writers and activists - of all political positions -- promise corporate America that the first corporations to make use of this Supreme Court ruling will pay a price so steep that no one else will ever want to try it again.
Here's what I propose:
Let all bloggers who agree that democracy is at risk because of this decision unite here today to preemptively declare that any corporation that takes advantage of the Court ruling will:
- Have its directors, named and outed-- inclusive of office addresses of the person posted widely and repeatedly with calls to picket them 24/7
- It's executives named and outed-- inclusive of office addresses of the person posted widely and repeatedly with calls to picket them 24/7
- It's major stock holders named and outed-- inclusive of office addresses of the person posted widely and repeatedly with calls to picket them 24/7
- That there will be agitation for the corporate headquarters to picketed
- That the PR firm, add agency and creative people who work on any such add campaign (and media firm, TV and/or radio station's executives that sell them the time) be outed -- inclusive of office addresses of the person posted widely and repeatedly with calls to picket them 24/7
...And that all this will be done by all bloggers to the best of their investigative abilities... and we promise to do this regardless of the content of the add and even if in some individual instance we agree with the candidate (or cause) being helped.
Yes, this is a threat and a promise, actually a sacred vow to sustain our democracy.
Let the first corporation to try stripping the rest of us actual individual citizens of our free speech -- by overwhelming us with their money at the behest of the election-stealing Court -- become a cautionary tale that will not soon be forgotten.
Do you agree?
Will you promise to make this happen?
Then say so! Sign this statement, post it on your blog and pass it on