Click Here: The Stink of Right Wing Moral Failure Is About to Overcome America
The Stink of Right Wing Moral Failure Is About to Overcome America
In the 1970s and 80s I was a Far Right instigator, a leader of the (then new) anti-abortion movement. I describe why I left this movement in my book Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back. My late father Francis Schaeffer has been called the father of the Religious Right. I -- following the Evangelical "holy tradition" of North Korea-style nepotism -- was for a time his sidekick. Together we helped set the table for the feast of reactionary hate America is about to dine on as the White Far Right/Neoconservative War Machine and the Religious non-reality-based anti-modern Permanent American Lynch Mob hits America in the mouth for daring to elect our first black president.
Make no mistake: the deep river of know-nothing sewage that flows just under the American surface is about to gush into view with the Far Right takeover of at least one part of our Congress.
Who is the Republican Far Right and what do they want? To understand our Republican future -- check out our recent Republican past. These are the "patriots" who gave us:
- Two non-stop wars that needlessly killed over 5,000 Americans
- Replaced our military with a mercenary killers-for-hire dirty world of "contractors" that now outnumber our men and women in every American military operation
- Destroyed our economy by deregulating business and the banks
- Launched an anti-gay "gays-choose-to-be-gay" mythology on America leading to the further oppression of gay men and women
- Put secretive Far Right religious operatives including the "C-Street" ("Family") in positions of influence through members of congress who are in their pockets
- Aided and abetted the death to gays legislation in Uganda
- Tried to launch a race and religion war in America by stirring up hate against the Muslim minority
- Have tried to turn non-Latino Americans into a Latino-fearing xenophobic anti-immigrant mob
- Created the climate wherein abortion providers were first labeled "baby killers" then murdered
- Lied about the President, saying he isn't American, is a Muslim, is the Antichrist
- Unleashed a plague of guns on America feeding one murder spree after another
- Struck down over a century of legal rulings limiting the buying and selling of elections by corporations, giving us a "new" and "improved" system of unlimited secret contributions to eviscerate even the pretense of actual democracy and finally hand America over to the super wealthy -- maybe forever
- Run candidates for Congress who are calling for the violent overthrow of the American Government should they fail at the ballot box
- Supported anti-science, anti-education biblical mythology
- Backed candidates who want to force rape victims to carry their pregnancies to term
- Fought people fighting global warming and plunged us into an irrevocable date with global death while reaping short term profits for the coal and oil industry
- Turned America into a permanent war machine and made a buck off the volunteers (like my Marine son) who serve
- Put the American future in hock to Far Right Zionists forever by backing the settlers in the State of Isreal and by trying to undermine peace iniatives
- Put America in hock to Far Right Evangelicals who are rooting for the "return of Christ" and the Apocalypse...
And should the Republicans take Congress you haven't seen anything yet.
To change the way things are we need to understand why at any given moment about a third of our population doesn't care about what is true -- or even fact-based -- but instead live life informed by self-reinforcing beliefs which are proudly non-fact-based and rooted in deep-seated resentment that can't be cured because what is resented never actually happened.
And if you'd like to know how THESE PEOPLE got to be this way and why resistance to facts in particular and loathing of education in general is proudly maintained within an impenetrable Right Wing Echo Chamber, take a look at my family and allow my biblically preoccupied childhood, youth and nepotistic evangelical career to become briefly yours.
But before you read another word by me or anyone else vote and get others to vote for any Democrat in any race.
Stop the flood of putrid moral failure that is about to engulf us.
Frank Schaeffer is a writer and author of Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back